In the thriving, commerce-driven country of Japan, cellular customers expect reliable, high-speed mobile connectivity. One of Japan’s predominant network operators set its sights on upgrading its current network and expanding 4G (and eventually 5G) coverage to even the most remote regions in the country.
One of the country’s leading mobile network operators (MNO) sought to extend the same fast, reliable connectivity that served customers in urban centers to their customers in rural areas.
To deliver on this mission, the MNO needed a solution that would connect thousands of cell sites in remote locations. Relying on a terrestrial network alone would not only be cost-prohibitive, but downtime risk would be high for those customers who needed connectivity most.
They needed an affordable solution that would ensure uninterrupted cellular connectivity, provide peace of mind for customers and comply with strict company standards.
Provide reliable 4G connectivity
in remote areas without
adding complexity to a massive network
How We Helped
Intelsat worked closely with the MNO to design a fully managed, end-to-end solution that provided primary connectivity – particularly to those in rural regions. A dedicated managed services team facilitated project management and implementation. In addition, an Intelsat Japan network operations center (JNOC) provides 24/7 support (with backup support available from Intelsat’s Global NOC, located in the United States).
Managed backhaul connectivity for all of Japan was provided through a combination of the High-throughput Satellite (HTS) and new terrestrial infrastructure including geo-redundant teleports, VSAT hubs and the JNOC.
Implemented a fully managed backhaul solution
with 24/7 support through a
Japanese network operations center.
Fully managed satellite backhaul solution simplified operations and allowed the MNO to focus on core business.
- Cost-effective urban and rural backhaul with 100% coverage leveraging Intelsat high-throughput satellite
- Fully managed solution with best-in-class operations and flexibility for highly variable demand
- Full-time Intelsat Japan NOC operations with backup from US NOC
Network redundancy guaranteed highest operational standards and continuity.
- IntelsatOne Japan teleport infrastructure with C-band feeder links and service platform redundancy for highest network availability Delivered the 4G performance promise of supporting backhaul at peak speeds of 100Mbps+
- Fully geo-redundant teleports ensure network resiliency in the event of natural disasters
Positive impact on safety, security and economics
- Delivered the 4G performance promise of supporting backhaul at peak speeds of 100Mbps+